Decision to Pursue HCT for Sickle Cell Disease
This program provides information on the benefits and risks of deciding to pursue transplantation as a treatment option for patients with SCD. You will learn about the advances in allogeneic transplantation for patients with SCD and the importance of shared decision making among this patient population.
The video is intended for hematologists/oncologists, transplant physicians, and other health care professionals.
The goal of this activity is to help healthcare providers explore the dilemma of choice involved in the decision to pursue hematopoietic cell transplantation for patients with SCD.
- Identify common ethical issues involved in the decision to transplant patients with SCD
- Explain current indications for HCT for SCD
- Compare the outcomes of matched related donor and matched unrelated donor transplants in patients with severe SCD
- Discuss the ethics of not transplanting patients with SCD
- Describe influence of hematopoietic cell transplantation timing on outcomes in patients with SCD
Dr. Naynesh Kamani, M.D., Children's National Medical Center
If you have any questions regarding this activity, call Renee Ryan at (800) 526-7809 ext. 8430, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .