Pre-Transplant 5-AZA Provides Disease Control in High-Risk MDS

In this prospective study of using 5-azacitidine (AZA) as a “bridge to transplant” in 25 adults with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), researchers concluded that pre-transplant AZA “was well tolerated and provided reasonable disease control before allogeneic HCT.” AZA was administered a median of 3 cycles (range 0-6) until a suitable transplant donor was found. Pre-transplant responses to AZA were 48% partial response, 33% stable disease, and 19% progressive disease. In the 21 patients who proceeded to transplant, one-year relapse-free and overall survival were 52% and 62%, respectively.

Nishihori T, et al. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant